Pages

Monday, May 27, 2013

Sugar House ~ Corktown

We spent last night at the Sugar House.


One of our favorite places to imbibe right now, we headed down there after watching The Great Gatsby. Cocktails were definitely called for.
The ambiance at the Sugar House is low key, all dark wood and taxidermied animals, bringing to mind Teddy Roosevelt or an English lord's trophy room. Perhaps the room of a big game safari hunter. Music streams out in hushed tones, and in the late spring and summer the room is hot.  I feel transported to New Orleans almost, but this is Detroit. Detroit at its finest, with craft cocktails and local ingredients when possible. I could while away hours there every weekend, if I could afford it every weekend. The drinks however are well worth their price tag, and sometimes I even feel like I am not paying enough.
We had a super nice bartender named Nick. (please excuse my iPhone pics, it was all I had with me) He was imbued with knowledge about the large array of options and ingredients, and could perfectly describe  a flavor and recommend a drink.


I started off with a Moscow Mule. (terrible photo I know)


After my first sip, I pronounced this drink to be breathtaking.  Jill and Chrissy found this amusing until they too, tasted it and said it was the perfect description. And they actually still thought it was funny. A Moscow Mule has a few different ingredients, one of them being ginger. Yum.


Next, I moved on to the Vieux Carre.


There is a reason you shouldn't pick something based on the name alone.   I chose this because I love New Orleans and the actual Vieux Carre - however, this drink was a bit too manly for me. Nick said that this drink is a commitment, and it was a commitment I wasn't ready for. I passed this drink on to Billy, and ordered a new one.


Nick then suggested a Havana Sour. I had told him I am a fan of Whiskey Sours, and the Corktown Sour, so I took his advice.


Always listen to the experts!  This drink was amazing. Perfect for me in every way. I adored it. Tart and pink, I liked it so much I ordered a second. The Havana Sour is a definite winner.
Chrissy and Jill enjoyed their drinks - they both found two new drinks they fancied as well. Chrissy would not let go of her Whiskey Smash, and Jill found the Aviation to be fabulous.

Going to the Sugar House is an experience - one that allows you to appreciate all that goes into the making of a drink, the quality of the ingredients, the knowledge not only of how to make them, but sometimes how that drink came to exist in the first place.
 It is a place for savoring. To not just guzzle down your cocktail, to throw it back like you would a shot, but to truly enjoy it. They proclaim themselves to be a place for the discerning drunk, and while I am not that well informed about what they do, I certainly see the value, and I learn a little something every time.  








2 comments:

  1. The Aviation was excellent and I should have taken a pic just for the cool, hazy greyish purple color alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was gorgeous. Like the last bit of sky before the sun goes down.

      Delete

I'd love it if you commented!